back to top

Federal Direct Loans


To request and self-certify a loan, you must meet all of the following requirements:

  1. You completed the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
  2. You registered for a minimum of six credits for each term.
  3. You received and reviewed your award letter on your eServices account
  4. You are not currently on financial aid suspension

Important things to consider

You can only submit an online Loan Request once before the start of a semester. Be certain of the amount you want before you request your loan. Changes to any loan request made after your initial request can only be made with the Loan Adjustment Form. Your loan may also require proration (a reduced amount you are eligible to borrow) if you are in your final semester or are enrolled in a program less than 24 credits in length. If you are completing the Master Promissory Note and/or Entrance Counseling the same day you submit a loan request, it will take up to two weeks to certify.

How to submit a loan request

Log into your eServices account. On the left side, select “Financial Aid”, then “Loans” Follow the instructions for self-certification.

Loan processing flow and time frames

After submitting a self-certification for your loan, the loan guarantor will mail you a disclosure statement that will include estimated disbursement dates, but those dates are estimates. Any excess funds are mailed to students by the Tuition Office or directly deposited into a checking account. Checks are mailed to the permanent address on file with the Records Office. They cannot be forwarded or picked up at the school. If you are interested in direct deposit, speak with the Tuition Office. The date checks are sent to students is typically two weeks after the semester add/drop date and is determined by the Tuition Office.

Adjusting or canceling a loan

If you have requested a Direct loan and want to make an adjustment or cancel the loan, do not return to the online request. You must complete the Loan Adjustment Form and submit it to the Financial Aid Office. You can download the Request for Direct Loan Adjustment (PDF) or pick one up in the Financial Aid Office.

Fall-only loan students

Students who choose a Fall-only loan and plan on continuing into the Spring semester, will need to request a Spring-only loan after registering for the term.

Transfer students

Saint Paul College requires students to complete Entrance Loan Counseling at Saint Paul College to receive a Direct loan regardless if it has been completed at another school. Complete Entrance Loan Counseling at