Personal Security Recommendations
Campus security staff is available to assist you in protecting yourself by providing regular foot and/or vehicle patrols, safety and security programs, as well as various safety and security posters and brochures. However, only you can protect yourself by being aware of your surroundings and taking appropriate steps in preventing crime from happening.
Call for an campus safe walk escort! The Security Office is open from 7:00am to 10:30pm Monday through Thursday and from 7:00am to 4:30pm on Friday, as well as 7:30am to 12:30pm on Saturday. Call 651.846.1322, or stop by the Security Desk near the Main Entrance to arrange a safe walk escort.
Be aware of when patrol is on duty. Security staff normally patrols the campus between the hours of 7:00am and 10:30pm. The Campus Security phone number is 651.846.1322.
Protect your property
- Personal property (purses, briefcases, calculators, etc.) should never be left unattended. Take such items with you if you are leaving an office or classroom.
- Always lock your car doors.
- Protect all valuables in your room. Do not leave valuables in plain view. Take valuables home with you.
- Always lock your bike. There are several good anti-theft devices available. Casehardened heavy locks and chains afford the best protection.
- Report all thefts and property loss immediately to Campus Security.
- Be security conscious at all times.
Protect your automobile
- Always lock your car doors and never leave your keys in the vehicle.
- Try to park your car in a well-lit area.
- Avoid leaving property where it is visible.
Protect yourself at night
- Avoid walking alone at night.
- Refrain from taking shortcuts, walk where there is plenty of light and traffic.
- Protect yourself walking and jogging
- Avoid walking and jogging alone after dark.
- Walk along well-lit routes.
- Be alert to your surroundings. If you suspect you are being followed, run in a different direction, go to the other side of the street and yell for help, or head quickly for a lighted area or a group of people.
- Have your keys ready when returning to your residence and keep you personal or valuable items concealed and close to your body.
Help us protect you: Watch for suspicious persons in and around College buildings and in parking lots. Do not pursue them. Call Campus Security immediately at 651.846.1322.
Campus Security will provide safety seminars each semester. These seminars include discussing maintaining personal security and reporting any alleged crimes. All students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to participate.
If you see suspicious activity or people on or near campus, call Campus Security at 651.846.1322. Do not assume the person is a visitor or College staff member that you have not seen before.
Suspicious people may be
- Loitering about at unusual hours and locations; running, especially if something of value is being carried.
- Exhibiting unusual mental or physical symptoms. Person(s) could be under the influence of drugs or otherwise needing medical or psychiatric assistance.
- Carrying property that might be suspicious, depending on the circumstances, going from room to room trying door handles.