Using Military Education Benefits
back to top

Using Military Education Benefits

To qualify for veterans benefits, you must apply to and be accepted into a program major at Saint Paul College. Your educational objective at the College must be the same as that which you reported to the Veterans Administration (VA).

You must contact the College’s VA Certifying Official under the following circumstances:

  • At your initial registration for courses
  • If you change your credit load (add/drop/withdraw)
  • If you change your major
  • If you change your address - One stop location for checking on military benefits for higher education

With so many soldiers returning home and wanting to attend college, the site was developed by the Higher Education Veterans Programs (HEVP) and Minnesota Online to provide a one stop location about educational opportunities and benefits to military personnel.


The web site gives individuals a streamlined way to obtain information about higher education and to determine what military benefits might be available.

The Higher Education Veterans Program initiative was created by the Minnesota Legislature and the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs in 2006 to serve the unique higher education needs of Veterans, military members and their families.

Steps for applying for and receiving VA benefits at Saint Paul College

To qualify for veterans benefits, you must apply and be accepted to the College. Your educational objective must be the same as that which you reported to the Veterans Administration.

If you have NEVER received VA Educational Benefits

  1. Complete an application VA Educational Benefits:
    • for Chapters 30, 32, and 1606: VA Form 22-1990 - go to Education Forms
    • for Chapter 35: VA Form 22-5490 - go to Education Forms
    • For Voc Rehab, contact the VA regarding the application procedure NOTE: Even if you submit your VA Form 22-1990 or 22-5490 online, you still need to do Steps 2 and 3.
  2. Print the completed form and submit to the Student Records Office, along with a copy of your DD214 or NOBE.
  3. Notify Laura Griffin by email when you have applied to the VA and registered for classes for an Enrollment Certification to be processed for you.

If you HAVE received VA Educational Benefits previously at another institution within the previous year

  1. Complete a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training VA form:
    • for Chapters 30,32 and 1606: VA Form 22-1995 - go to Education Forms
    • for Chapter 35: VA Form 22-5495 - go to Education Forms
    • for Voc Rehab, contact your Case Manager

      NOTE: If you submit your VA Form 22-1995 or VA Form 22-5495 on line, you still need to do Steps 2 and 3.
  2. Print the completed form and submit to the Student Records Office, along with a copy of your DD214 or NOBE.
  3. Notify Laura Griffin by email when you are registered so an Enrollment Certification can be done for you.
Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits

Veterans can receive up to 45 months of educational assistance through the GI bill when enrolled on a full-time or part-time basis in an approved VA program at the college. Students who are eligible to receive VA education benefits may fall into one of the following categories (chapters):

  1. Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill (go to for more information)
  2. Chapter 30 - Active duty service person
  3. Chapter 16 - Active Selective Reservist or National Guards person
  4. Chapter 30 - Veteran (discharged or separated service person)
  5. Chapter 35 - Veteran's dependent (spouse, surviving spouse, or child)
  6. Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation

The College VA Certifying Official is responsible for certifying enrollment and changes in enrollment of eligible students to the VA.

How does a student become eligible for VA Education Benefits?

A student needs to apply for benefits through the VA. The VA makes all det​erminations of eligibility. You can also apply online at

When can a student be certified?

A student may be certified after registration for the term.

Should a student apply for financial aid if they plan on receiving VA education benefits?

Yes, as the VA benefits may not be sufficient to cover all educational costs. VA students are paid benefits based on the number of approved credit hours they carry and not on the cost of the school they choose to attend. Financial aid information at Saint Paul College

How much will I be paid if I qualify for benefits?

Your monthly benefit will be based on the type of training you take, length of your service, your category, and if you receive kickers, as well as your enrollment status. Students can be full-time, 3/4 time, 1/2 time or less than 1/2 time.

Am I eligible for the Work Study Program?

In order to be eligible for work study a student must (1) be eligible to receive VA education benefits, and (2) attend school and receive benefits at the 3/4 or full-time rate. Inquiries regarding VA work study positions should be directed to the Veterans Administration at Fort Snelling

How do I obtain my military transcripts?

You may obtain military transcripts to be evaluated for credit. Request for your military transcript be sent from the appropriate following site to Saint Paul College – Student Records Office. Your military transcript will be evaluated for transfer to the program you intend to pursue. It may be necessary to obtain additional descriptions of the course(s) you took to determine equivalencies with courses at the college or university.

Saint Paul College VA Certifying Official


Laura Griffin

T • 651.403.4211
F • 651.846.1468
E-mail Laura Griffin

Related Links:

Contact the VA