Medical Laboratory Technology is a challenging profession for individuals with an interest in the clinical applications of the basic sciences and a commitment to quality patient care. The Medical Laboratory Technician works as a "medical detective," analyzing and reporting findings for a wide range of laboratory tests. As members of the health care team, graduates provide physicians with information essential to the effective diagnosis, treatment, and monitoring of patient disease.
Students begin the program as a preMedical Laboratory Technician. A preMedical Laboratory Technician may take all of the required general education courses and medical terminology. Students should consult with the program advisor to develop an appropriate educational plan. Please see the Medical Laboratory Technician Program Requirements Guide for specific information about the additional application requirements for this program, plus Minimum Program Entry Requirements, required Course Sequence, and Program Outcomes.
This program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences:
5600 N River RD, Suite 720
Rosemount, IL 60018-5119
Web Site: www.naacls.org
Licensing or certification exams are independent of graduation requirements.
What You'll Learn
- Chemical analysis of blood samples.
- Macroscopic and microscopic examination of blood, urine and body fluids.
- Proper collection procedures of blood specimens.
- Culture and identification techniques for microorganisms obtained from patient specimens.
- Identification of blood cells.
- Determination of blood types and blood compatibility.
- Proper use of the latest industry instrumentation and equipment, i.e. spectrophotometric analyzers, centrifuges, automated cell counters, and microscopes.
- Hospital laboratories
- Medical clinics
- Physicians' offices
- Public health agencies
- Reference laboratories
- Pharmaceutical, industrial or medical research laboratories
- Allina Hospitals & Clinics
- HealthEast Care System
- Fairview Health Services
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics
- North Memorial Medical Center
- Park Nicollet Health Services