Join us for an upcoming information session for the Pharmacy
If you are interested in attending one of these sessions, please call Hannah Kokesh, Pharmacy Technician instructor at 651.403.4313 or E-mail Hannah Kokesh.
- Thursday, Dec. 3, 2015
12:00pm - 1:00pm, Room 2295
- Monday, Dec. 7, 2015
5:00pm - 6:00pm, Room 2295.
Pharmacy technicians play an integral role in assisting pharmacists with medication dispensing. Pharmacy technicians work in hospitals, drug stores, and other medical settings. Pharmacy technicians perform a variety of duties that require strong attention to detail. Many pharmacy technicians perform duties such as the following:
- Screen prescription orders for accuracy and completeness
- Prepare prescriptions for pharmacist verification – retrieve, count, pour, weigh, measure, and sometimes mix the medication
- Use technology to help maintain accurate patient records, prepare and package medications, and place orders
- Perform calculations
- Provide customer service to patients
- Support health care providers and nurses in the delivery of medicines
- Manage the business and/or administrative aspects of a pharmacy.
Saint Paul College offers two Pharmacy Technician programs – a diploma and Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree. Students are required to meet minimum program entry requirements before beginning pharmacy technician coursework. Please see the Pharmacy Technician Program Requirements Guide for specific requirements and course sequence.
This program provides the necessary training and experiential requirements to seek registration as a pharmacy technician in the state of Minnesota. This program also prepares students to take the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam to become a Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT).
What You'll Learn
- Laws that govern pharmacy technicians, pharmacists, and pharmacy operations
- Interpretation of prescription orders
- Prescription dispensing
- Medication safety
- Pharmacy operations in retail and institutional settings
- Sterile and non-sterile compounding, aseptic technique
- Pharmacy calculations
- Healthcare communication and customer service skills
- Pharmacotherapy of disease processes
- Community pharmacies
- LTC pharmacies
- Mail-order pharmacies
- Insurance companies
- Allina Hospitals & Clinics
- HealthEast Care System
- Fairview Health Services
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics
- North Memorial Medical Center
- Park Nicollet Health Services