Saint Paul College Annual Awards
Each year we recognize both a special graduate and a friend of the College in grateful appreciation for their service to the College. They are honored during the annual Friends Gala.
We welcome your nominations of those who have served and contributed to the success of Saint Paul College and our students. We are now accepting nominations for these awards for 2019, and will recognize the recipients at our Friends Gala on December 12, 2019.
Please complete the nomination form and submit it via email to Friends of Saint Paul College executive director, David Kline, at
email@example.com before May 1, 2019.
2018 Award Recipients
The 2018 award recipients are Mr. Tom Nielsen, Alumnus of the Year, and Ms. Laura Beeth, Community Partner of the Year.
2018 Alumnus of the Year
Tom Nielsen, President, Mo-Tech Corporation
Tom Nielsen graduated from the Saint Paul College Machine Tool program in 1984. Working his way up from the most menial tasks to current president of Mo-Tech Corporation, Nielsen has volunteered his time and industry expertise to Saint Paul College. He has served on the Machining/CNC program advisory committee, facilitated Mo- Tech’s in-kind equipment donations to the Machining/CNC program. He also has served as a board member and board chair for the Friends of Saint Paul College Foundation, helping guide the efforts to raise funds for scholarships and develop strategic plans.
View a tribute to Tom Nielsen, Alumnus of the Year
2018 Community Partner of the Year
Laura Beeth, Vice President Talent Acquisition, Fairview Health Services
Laura Beeth is a leader in the health care industry, with over 25 years of experience in talent acquisition/management, workforce development, and health care management. She was instrumental in starting the College’s summer “Scrubs Camp” program for high school students exploring health care careers. She has guided the College in establishing the Phlebotomy Certificate program, and securing clinical sites for the College’s Health Sciences programs. Appointed as chair of the Governor’s Workforce Development Board by Gov. Dayton, Beeth also serves as chair of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Healthcare Education-Industry Partnership Council.
View a tribute to Laura Beeth, Community Partner of the Year
We are grateful to these exemplary individuals and institutions for their unwavering support, contributions and service to our programs and students. Here are our past recipients:
Alumni of the Year Recipients
- Richard Anfang (Painting and Decorating ‘66)
- Jerry Barnes (Pipefitting ‘67)
- Jean Bauer (Medical Laboratory Technology ‘75)
- Ryan Caulfield (Culinary Arts ‘96)
- James Doody (Plumbing ‘70)
- Carla Fryar (Cosmetology ‘82)
- Robert Haskins (Machine Tool ‘75)
- Richard Hesse (Machine Tool ‘58)
- Leonard Karter (Watchmaking ‘73)
- Nathaniel Khaliq (Carpentry ‘72)
- Sidney Magee, Jr. (Auto Body Repair ‘68)
- Rep. Tim Mahoney (Pipefitting ‘85)
- Tom Nielsen (Machine Tool ‘84
- John O’Connor (Sheet Metal ‘61)
- John Schiltz (Culinary Arts ‘75)
- Curt Southward (Electrical Technology ‘74)
- Robert Tipler (Electrical Technology ‘64)
- Steven Tufenk (Pipefitting ‘74)
- Pamela Wellumson (Sign Language Interpreter Training ‘81)
- Robert Widerski (Plumbing ‘62)
Community Partner of the Year Recipients
- James Staloch, 2007
- Howard Guthmann, 2008
- David Berg, 2009
- Councilmember Daniel Bostrom, 2010
- President Emeritus Donovan Schwichtenberg, 2011
- International Institute of Minnesota, 2014
- Mayor Chris Coleman, 2015
- Karin McCabe, 2016
- Representative Alice Hausman, 2017
- Laura Beeth, 2018