This week, Saint Paul College students who took summer courses completed final exams or final projects. Congratulations to all students on their achievements this summer and best wishes on all future endeavors.
It goes without saying that our dedicated staff and faculty are busy assisting students register for fall semester. I offer my humble gratitude to everyone helping our students with their educational journey at the College.
Here’s a short recap of my week:
- Learn and Lead Lab – I gave the welcome and keynote address to nearly a hundred Goodwill-Easters Seals employees from around the U.S. who attended the Learn and Lead Lab at Saint Paul College. The event focused on building strong community partnerships like the one between Saint Paul College and Goodwill-Easter Seals Minnesota.
- MnAMP Advanced Manufacturing Partnership visit - The Minnesota Advanced Manufacturing Partnership (MnAMP) visited the college to evaluate our progress on our project that was created to help close the skills gap within manufacturing careers in Minnesota. Minnesota Advanced Manufacturing Partnership (MnAMP) improves pathways to careers in manufacturing, mechatronics and welding through credentialing and workforce training. Saint Paul College is one of thirteen MN-AMP institutions of the Minnesota State system, receiving $14 million. The goal of MnAMP is to strengthen educational programs ensuring that 600 students complete credentials and secure employment.
- Minnesota State Leadership Council meeting - I attended a Minnesota State Leadership Council meeting along with the other presidents of Minnesota State Colleges and Universities institutions and members of Chancellor Rosenstone’s staff. We discussed progress with Charting the Future, the current legislative session, enrollment, on-line education, the workplace solutions model, Minnesota State branding update and operating budget outlook.
- Faculty Interviews – I participated in full-time faculty interviews as part of the process in making a strategic investment to promote teaching excellence and student success at the College.
- Workforce Innovation Board of Ramsey County inaugural keynote – I gave the welcome keynote at the Workforce Innovation Board of Ramsey County’s inaugural meeting at Saint Paul College. My keynote address focused on the critical role that Saint Paul College plays in promoting racial equity in our community and greater Minnesota by promoting educational and workforce development opportunities for all members of our community.
- Comprehensive Workplace Solution Model meeting – Myself and three other Minnesota State Colleges and Universities presidents met and continued to work on a draft of the Comprehensive Workforce Solution Model. This model ensures that we leverage the customized training and continuing education units of our colleges and universities. We can use their expertise and resources to strengthen Minnesota’s workforce in a manner that is financially sustainable and market competitive.
- Friends of Saint Paul College Foundation retreat – Friends of Saint Paul College board members and I attended a planning retreat to discuss the critical role board members have on fundraising and friend-raising at Saint Paul College. Board members' support is critical in promoting philanthropic giving at the College to make education affordable for our students.
- Neighborhood House Action in Race and Bias – I attended a meeting with several members of the Neighborhood House Board to discuss the active role Neighborhood House can play initiating conversations about race and bias for our community.
I am fortunate to lead an institution whose members are passionate and truly care for our students. We are a dedicated, committed and courageous team that ensures when our students start here, they can go anywhere
After all, if we do not care for our students and our community, who will?
I wish you a relaxing weekend.
Rassoul Dastmozd, PhD
Saint Paul College