Fall semester is well underway as students settle into their courses and busy schedules. I would like to take this opportunity to thank our faculty, staff, and administrative team members for ensuring that our students’ educational needs are met as we finish the fourth week of fall semester.
Here’s a short recap of my activities and meetings this week:
- Central Corridor Anchor Partnership (CCAP) Executive Leadership Meeting - Attended a phone conference with the executive team to discuss the future of health related workforce sector occupations.
- Saint Paul Public Schools (SPPS) - Met with the senior leadership from SPPS to discuss additional pre-Gateway to College programming for students to attend Saint Paul College. This initiative will ensure higher high school diploma completion rates for students.
- St. Paul NAACP - Attended a meeting at Martin Luther King Center.
- Minnesota Philanthropy Partners - Attended the meet, greet, and welcome event for the new CEO/President of Minnesota Philanthropy Partners, Dr. Eric Jolly, at the marvelous JJ Hill Library.
- Health Care Sector Occupation Forum - Attended a Health Care Sector Occupation Forum at the Saint Paul Area Chamber http://www.saintpaulchamber.com of Commerce to discuss various collaboration models for workforce procurement and sharing of services among health care service providers in St. Paul.
- Representative Marion O’Neill – We met to discuss higher education, immigration, and workforce system issues.
- Knight Green Line Challenge - Attended a grant proposal evaluation/assessment Attended a grant proposal evaluation/assessment session with the Knight Foundation for the Green Line Challenge $1 Million Idea.
- Academic Planning and Collaboration with Metro State and MCTC - Met with a team of administrators and Presidents from Metropolitan State University and Minneapolis Community and Technical College to discuss Academic Planning and Collaboration, Metro-wide four year degree completion planning such as dual admissions, joint marketing efforts, and shared services.,/li>
- Travelers EDGE® Scholars Program - Attended a Travelers EDGE (Empowering Dreams for Graduation and Employment) program reception for the Travelers EDGE program director and the 12 Saint Paul College business program students selected for the program.
- President's Advisory Council Meeting – We discussed the State of the College, finance, the College’s long range strategic goals and updates on various initiatives at the College.
- Faculty Shared Governance Meeting
- Minneapolis Foundation Centennial - Attended the Face Forward Futurist Conference luncheon featuring Dan Buettner, bestselling author and National Geographic Fellow
- Everybody In - Attended a conversation on the Latest Data on Minority Businesses in Minnesota: Report and Conversation at Concordia University – St. Paul.
In the news this week:
Nursing Apprenticeship Concept Gains National Attention: Kudos to Laura Beeth, Fairview’s System Director of Talent Acquisition and chair of CCAP's workforce development work group. She was one of 100 leaders at the national Summit on Apprenticeships summit, and spoke to the gathering immediately after Vice President Joseph Biden. Fairview will receive a $750,000 grant to support 150 nurses and other healthcare workers advance on career ladders through a Department of Labor apprenticeships grant.
Thanks to all of our partners and their continued support for Saint Paul College and the community of students we serve!
I wish you a much deserved, relaxing weekend. Be Bold. Be Inspired. Be Relevant.