As we’re nearing the end of fall semester with finals starting next week for our students, I know it’s crunch-time for many with final projects and late nights as they cram for tests. Our hardworking students will make it through the rigors of the tests, and I know many students are grateful not only for the support and encouragement from their instructors, but also for the way they are challenged to grow intellectually and to excel. The academic success staff, academic support centers and lab assistants are also heavily invested in the individual successes of our students.
Together, everyone is working diligently and reaching out to our students so they can complete this leg of their academic journey at the College. This is at the heart of what Saint Paul College does best. It is what makes part of my job easier as I connect with our business, industry, government and community partners – they see the integrity of our work here as an institution and want to be a part of the success of our students and all we serve.
I’m grateful for everyone’s commitment to our students and all of the ways they support us.
Here’s a short recap of my activities and meetings this week:
- Automobile Donation from Luther Automotive Group - This week, Luther Automotive Group donated an automobile to Saint Paul College, which will provide our students in our Automotive Service Technician programs hands-on training on a vehicle with the newest technology. Employers rely on our students to be well-prepared for their future careers. Our dedicated faculty members from Automotive Service Technician program and Dean of Business, Career and Technical Education continue to cultivate relationships with the employers of our graduates.
- McGough Construction Holiday Extravaganza - I was invited to attend their holiday celebration event at the Ordway. McGough is an intentional partner and tremendous supporter of Saint Paul College.
- Engage! - I attended an event at the Wilder Foundation that promoted collaboration of various stakeholder to reduce the number of children of color in the criminal justice system
- District Energy Board Meeting - I attended the quarterly District Energy Board Meeting.
- Charting the Future Implementation (CTF) Team – I met with the Charting the Future Implementation Team at the College to discuss our next steps.
- Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Leadership Council (MnSCU) - I attended a two-day meeting with Presidents from two year colleges and four year universities at the MnSCU System Office, discussing several issues related to strategic operation of each our respective institutions.
- Meeting with Chancellor and Presidents of Color - attended a meeting with my peers to discuss status update about our professional journeys as presidents of each of our respective institutions.
- New Employee Listening Session - Our Leadership Team attended a quarterly meeting with new employees of the College where we discussed communication and obtained a status update for their on-boarding.
- Faculty Interviews - The Chief Human Resource Officer at the College and I interviewed candidates for teaching positions at the College.
Events on campus
- Culinary Arts Information Session - The Culinary Arts Information Session was held on campus on December 10, 2015. Prospective students met with our faculty chefs and toured the new Culinary Arts Kitchen Lab. (View photos from ribbon cutting ceremony for the Culinary Arts Lab). You can also learn more about our Culinary Arts programs at
In closing, I offer my sincere gratitude to all of our students, faculty, staff, administrators, and community supporters who make our College a special and welcoming place, where students can achieve academic success.
Our work at Saint Paul College is all about students.