The Executive Director of Foundation and Alumni Development leads and directs the College's resource development efforts, including the responsibility for raising private and philanthropic funds through the Friends of Saint Paul College Foundation and by other means to accomplish Foundation goals and to support the College's mission. The incumbent is the primary advisor to the President on all Foundation alumni and community relations and fundraising initiatives. The Executive Director position requires significant discretion and substantial involvement in the development, interpretation, and implementation of policy, procedures and guidelines in the operations of the Friends of Saint Paul College Foundation. The incumbent will also provide leadership and direction to the Friends of Saint Paul College Foundation Board of Directors and will serve to improve the visibility of the college and the foundation in the community.
The position reports directly to the College President and serves on the President's Cabinet. This position will work in close collaboration with the Foundation Board, President's Advisory Council, the President and the Cabinet in developing and executing strategic fund raising plans.
The Executive Director is responsible for the day-to-day management of the resource development operations. The incumbent is expected to provide active leadership for achieving the College's fund raising goals, including successfully completing a capital campaign by cultivating, soliciting and stewarding annual, capital and endowment major gifts. The incumbent is also responsible for providing leadership and management to all major fundraising efforts, including the creation of a strong alumni relations program, which will be key for future fundraising successes. The Executive Director supervises the college foundation development officer, administrative assistance, and contracted accountant.
Successful candidates will have at least the following minimum qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in related field;
- Minimum of three years prior fundraising experience with demonstrated success, in securing outright and deferred major gifts from individuals and corporations, or other related experience (private resource development including annual, capital, planned giving, and events fundraising in a college or non-profit organization);
- Demonstrated experience in donor/prospect cultivation and solicitation processes, including the use of volunteers;
- Strong written, presentation and oral communication skills;
- Ability to understand, manage and communicate financial information;
- Ability to independently make effective decisions;
- Excellent leadership and management skills and attention to detail, with skills in the organization of systems and aptitude for analysis of detailed data;
- Commitment and enthusiasm to fund raising in higher education;
- Ability to interact effectively with a wide variety of constituents;
- Demonstrated documented experience and knowledge of working with diverse groups of students or populations and promoting equity and inclusion;
- Ability to multitask and manage projects from ideation to inception;
- Excellent influencing and collaboration skills;
- Experience in developing a donor stewardship program;
- Experience managing a donor database system
- Five plus years of development experience;
- Experience in managing major giving campaigns;
- Knowledge of gift planning strategies;
- Advanced degree in a related field, such as Business, Marketing or Public Administration or considerable advanced coursework in related areas of study;
- Successful supervisory experience;
- Familiarity with the Minneapolis/St. Paul philanthropic community;
- Experience providing leadership in a non-profit environment, professional work experience in an educational environment,
- Comprehensive knowledge of non-profit organization financial and accounting processes and charitable giving laws such as IRS code 501c(3) and/or Professional Licensure/Certification: Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE),
- Experience working with a board of directors.
Saint Paul College is an Equal Opportunity Educator & Employer. A Member of the Minnesota State Colleges & Universities System