Esthetician Advanced PracticeEsthetician Advanced Practice Associate of Applied Science Degree
Esthetics Advanced Practice Certificate
Advanced practice (AP) esthetics services include specialized training and clinical practice in 4 AP esthetics categories: Chemical exfoliation of the skin, Exfoliation of the skin using a machine or device, Advanced skin care techniques, and Skin needling.
The Esthetics Advanced Practice Associate of Applied Science (AAS) Degree program is designed for the licensed Basic Esthetician or Cosmetologist who wish to work in a variety of settings including salons, spas, fitness centers, and medi-spa’s. AP estheticians may also have their own Advanced Practice Esthetics business.
The Esthetics Advanced Practice Certificate program is designed for the licensed Basic Esthetician or Cosmetologist who wish to work in a variety of settings including salons, spas, fitness centers, and medi-spa’s. AP estheticians may also have their own Advanced Practice Esthetics business.
Program Delivery Methods
Online, hybrid, traditional in-class courses and hands-on training in state-of-the-art lab on Saint Paul College campus, St. Paul, MN
- Advanced understanding of skin anatomy and physiology
- Skin histology
- Advanced skin care products and ingredients
- Pre and post treatment regimens
- Advanced client consultation including skin analysis and skin typing
- Risk management
- Students learn to perform chemical peels, microdermabrasion, dermaplaning, skin needling, and facials utilizing machines, electrical devices and lymphatic drainage.
Program Requirements Guides
View the Program Requirement Guide to learn about Minimum Program Entry Requirements, Recommended Course Sequence and Program Outcomes:
General Education/MnTC Requirements
The Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) is the general education
curriculum for the Minnesota State system. Choose MnTC courses according
to the requirements listed on your Program Requirements Guide. Refer to
the MnTC course list for each Goal Area:
Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) list.pdf
View all course descriptions
Textbook and Supply Costs
Students should expect to spend approximately $1,900.00 for Advanced Practice Esthetics books and supplies. Tuition, college fees and books for remaining courses are not included in this cost. Items can be purchased in the College Bookstore. In addition, there is a fee to take the Minnesota licensure exams.
Be prepared to purchase all Advanced Practice Esthetics kits with the instructor on the second day of class. Financial aid must have been completed.
Current Minnesota Esthetics or Cosmetology License
Students must bring a copy of their license on the first day of class. A copy will be added to the students’ permanent file. If student has completed all training and passed all state required testing for Basic Esthetics, they may continue onto the AP esthetics program for one final AP esthetics license. Cosmetologists must be licensed before starting the AP esthetics program.
- Plastic surgeon's offices
- Dermatologist’s offices
- Medical spas within 5-star resorts, hotels, and fitness centers
- Fitness centers
Saint Paul College has a transfer articulation agreement between the following program and post-secondary institutions for the baccalaureate degree programs listed below.
For more information please go to www.saintpaul.edu/Transfer.
Esthetician Advanced Practice AAS
- BS Healthcare and Human Service Management, Saint Mary’s University-Twin Cities Campus
- BA Health Care Administration, Concordia University-St. Paul
- BA Individualized Studies, Metropolitan State University
- After completing the 500-hour Advanced Practice Esthetics AAS or Certificate program including all theory and skills training, and passed the Practical Skills Test (PST) as well as all written exams through the state of MN designated testing service, students are eligible for licensure as an Advanced Practice Esthetician through the Minnesota Board of Cosmetology.
- Licensing and state certification exams are independent of graduation requirements.
Meet the Faculty