Chefs and cooks prepare a variety of foods in many different environments, from preparation of a la carte (prepared to order) to banquets for hundreds of people. Responsibilities include sanitation, maintaining an accounting inventory control system, estimating the amount of food needed, purchasing food supplies and planning menus. Nutritional aspects of healthy cooking are increasingly incorporated into the chef's menu.
The Culinary Arts AAS Degree and Culinary Arts Diploma programs are accredited by the American Culinary Federation Education Foundation's Accrediting Commission (ACFEF).
Saint Paul College’s Culinary Arts AAS degree program is the only exemplary culinary program in public education in Minnesota. Exemplary Programs symbolize the highest educational standards recognized by the American Culinary Federation Education Foundation Accrediting Commission (ACFEFAC). The award is presented to programs that have proven full compliance with all ACFEFAC accreditation requirements in the last visiting team report along with excellent management of the program.
Post-Graduate Culinary Certificate - U of MN
Culinary Arts program and the University of Minnesota’s Department of Food
Science and Nutrition have partnered to create a post-graduate culinary
certificate. The culinary certificate is available for University of
Minnesota’s Food Science or Nutrition majors and is for one full-time semester or
part-time over 2 semesters. For more information go to the U of M Post-Graduate Culinary Certificate Web page.
What You'll Learn
- Cost control and forecasting
- Restaurant operations and supervisory management
- Planning nutritional aspects of healthy cooking
- Introduction to wines and food pairing
- International/regional cuisine and classical cold buffet
- Hotels and restaurants
- Resorts and private clubs
- Catering and corporate dining
- Government, school facilities and health care facilities
- Bon Appetit
- Radisson Hotels & Resorts
- The Saint Paul Hotel
- Lund Food Holdings, Inc.
- Lake Elmo Inn
- Dakota Jazz Club & Restaurant
- Sysco Foods
- Minneapolis Hilton Towers
- Universal job market
- Expanding job market
- Entrepreneurial opportunities
- Articulation agreements with 4-year universities