TRIO Student Support Services
What is TRIO SSS?
The TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) program is a free college success program for eligible non-traditional aged students (25+) and funded by the U.S. Department of Education.
The goal of TRIO SSS is to assist and motivate students to successfully complete their Associates degree and transfer to a 4-year University.
Free services include:
- Individualized Advising and Personal Coaching
- Career planning and major exploration
- Financial guidance (financial aid, scholarships, financial literacy)
- Transfer assistance and visits to four-year colleges & universities
- Peer tutoring & mentoring
- Cultural and leadership activities
- Academic success workshops
- Scholarship and grant opportunities
To be eligible for TRiO SSS, students must:
- Identify as a first-generation college student (neither parent earned a Bachelor’s degree in the U.S. before you graduated from high school) and/or,
- Have a documented disability (must be registered through Access and Disabilities office) and/or,
- Meet income guidelines (determined each year by the U.S. Department of Education)
- Demonstrate a need for academic assistance
- Be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Not have a previous degree
- Plan to earn a degree from Saint Paul College
Preference is given to students who are:
- 25 years of age or older
- Enrolled in classes full time
- An Associate’s (AA, AS or AAS) degree seeking student
How Do I Apply?
Applications for the 2018-2019 academic year will now be accepted.
Download the PDF “Application Link here” or pick up a paper application in the TRIO Center, Room 1365. Applications can be turned in at the front desk in the TRIO Center or by email to
Even if a student meets all the eligibility criterion, the student may still not be accepted into TRIO SSS due to space availability in the program. Students who meet the eligibility criteria and preference may be placed on a waiting list until space becomes available.
- Student completes and turns in application to TRIO office
- If student meets eligibility, student is invited to an interview
- Student is notified of acceptance into the program based on whether they meet program preferences
- Student becomes an official TRIO SSS student once they attend their first advising session with their assigned advisor. At this point, the student is fully eligible for all TRIO SSS services.
Contact the TRIO Office at 651.403.4147 or via email
Resources for Current TRIO Students