fb IDs: State ID, driver’s license and SSN
Skip to main content Sign In

Saint Paul College A Community & Technical College

​IDs: State ID, driver’s license and SSN

  1. Minnesota State ID - You are not required to apply for a Minnesota State ID but you can, if you want. The closest Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) office location is in downtown Saint Paul – 445 Minnesota Street, Saint Paul, MN 55101. ​See locations here.

    To apply, you must bring with you: List of acceptable forms of ID in order to apply.

    • valid original passport​
    • valid original I-20
    • your I-94
    • official, paper transcript from Saint Paul College
    • sealed letter which you can obtain from the international student advisor
    • something with your address on it (utility bill, cell phone bill, bank statement, lease, etc.)

    Take the Request for Official Transcript to the Tuition Office, and pay the $6.25 fee.

    If you have a Social Security Number or other forms of ID, you should also bring those. It takes 1 to 3 weeks to be mailed your State ID card.

  2. Minnesota Driver’s License - You can apply for a driver’s license. You would apply for a Class D license as a new resident. You have to take a written test, pass a vision test, and obtain your learner’s permit. Once you have had your learner’s permit for a specific time period, you can schedule the road test. You must have your own vehicle with insurance and pass the road test before you are issued a driver’s license. It is your responsibility to follow the procedure to obtain a driver’s license. The road test is only given at limited locations. To find a location for the road test, see: https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/locations/Pages/find-office-locations.aspx. The closest locations are in Eagan and Arden Hills.
  3. Social Security Number - Only if you have been offered an on-campus student worker job, or you have been offered an internship and have applied for and received curricular practical training (CPT) are you eligible to obtain a Social Security Number. If you are getting paid for a legal, valid job, you must obtain a Social Security Number (SSN).

    To apply for a SSN, you have to have:

    You must go to the Social Security Administration Office located at 1811 Chicago Ave., Suite 2, Minneapolis, MN 55404. Their hours are Monday through Friday 9 am to 4 pm. Expect to wait one or more hours, especially if you go in the afternoon. Your Social Security Card is mailed to you approximately 10 days later. You must show this Social Security Card to the international student advisor and fill in the work tax packet and submit this to Pangnhia Chuyangheu in Room 1300, One Stop. Pangnhia must approve your work start date for any on-campus job before you would be allowed to start working. If you are applying for a SSN due to CPT, you have to ask your company’s human resources office on their policy on a start date.

One Click Away From Your Future
Visit Apply Request Info