fb International Student Services Resources
Skip to main content Sign In

Saint Paul College A Community & Technical College

International Student Services Resources

  1. Safety - Saint Paul College is located in an urban city and, therefore, you need to take normal precautions as you would in any large city. Do not walk alone at night time. Be careful of your personal belongings, purse, wallet, laptop and cell phone. Do not leave your personal belongings unattended. You should avoid carrying large amounts of cash with you. Do not carry your passport with you while in Saint Paul – carry a copy with you. Do not take out cash from an ATM machine alone and at night time.
    1. 9-1-1: If you feel you are in immediate danger, call 9-1-1. You will be connected with a dispatcher. You need to explain the danger, where you are located and what help you need. Only call 9-1-1 in the case of a true emergency. The dispatcher will send the police or firemen, depending on the type of emergency.
    2. Public Safety: For information on the Saint Paul College Public Safety, see: https://www.saintpaul.edu/aboutus/publicsafety. You can always call 651.​846.1322 at any time if you are unsure if it is an emergency or need to reach a Public Safety Officer. This phone is monitored 24 hours/day, 7 days/week. If you do not reach a Campus Public Safety Officer, leave a message and an Officer will call you back, usually within 30 minutes. If you are on campus and want an escort to your car at night time, you can request an escort service through Public Safety.
    3. Keep your vehicle and apartment locked at all times.
  2. Identity Theft - There are numerous scams that target international students to trick you out of money or to steal your identity. The US government, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Social Security Administration (SSA), US Customs and Immigration Enforcement (ICE) or any other US government agency would never call you on the phone demanding that you give them your name, address, social security number, bank details or demand money over the phone. You should never give away your personal details, bank information, social security number, credit card information to anyone over the phone that you do not know and trust. Chinese students have been targeted by Chinese scammers that are very sophisticated. Be cautious of anyone that attempts to contact you through e-mail, social media or by phone that you do not know.
  3. Legal Services – It is your responsibility to know the F-1 regulations and to stay in compliance of the F-1 regulations. If you are arrested and charged with a crime (example: driving and driving), you want to hire an attorney who knows both criminal law and immigration law. There are a few law firms in the Twin Cities that do both types of law: Peltier Law, Wilson Law Group. Borene Law specializes in immigration and can help with the immigration side.
    1. If you are seeking to change your F-1 status to something else (example: asylum, U visa, etc.), you can reach out to the Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota or the International Institute of Minnesota.
    2. It is important to know that possession and the use of marijuana is prohibited at the federal level even if in some states it is legal. As a F-1
  4. Scholarships
    1. The Saint Paul College Foundation offers scholarships, including to international students. International students are eligible to apply starting their second semester at Saint Paul College. Find information, the online application and deadlines here: https://www.saintpaul.edu/alumni/scholarships.
    2. Study MN offers a new F-1 international student who has applied to a Minnesota community college a chance for a $1000 scholarship. There is no extra application for this scholarship. Every year in April, Saint Paul College International Admissions sends in the names of newly admitted international students. Saint Paul College is notified in May if a SPC student was awarded the $1000 scholarship and then SPC notifies the student.
    3. External scholarships – there may be external scholarships that you can find on your own. If the SPC international student advisor hears of any such opportunities, these information on external scholarships is sent out by e-mail and posted on the closed “Saint Paul College F-1 International Students” facebook group.
    4. Emergency Funds – Saint Paul College has an emergency fund for our current students to cover an unexpected financial emergency. Any current SPC student is eligible. You can apply for up to $500 per semester. The emergency fund is not intended to cover regular, ongoing expenses. Examples of emergencies are: a medical emergency and medical bills, serious illness or death of a family member back home, an unexpected catastrophic loss of income by a parent that is supporting you. You must apply online through the online application available here: https://www.saintpaul.edu/studentservices/studentemergencyfunds
  5. Counseling/Mental Health
    1. Your mental health is very important. It is important that you take care of yourself, both physically and mentally. Saint Paul College values your mental health and wants to support good mental health. Please know that the international student advisor, Carol Myint (Room 1300), is always there for you if you need someone to talk to.
    2. Saint Paul College has mental health counselors. You can make an appointment to see a SPC counselor by calling 651.350.3037. Counseling sessions are free. The Counseling web site is: https://www.saintpaul.edu/studentservices/counseling
    3. The Ramsey County Mental Health Crisis phone line is 651.266.7900 which is answered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    4. Your international student health insurance covers mental health. You can check for in-network providers here: www.uhcsr.com/myaccount
  6. Global Culture Club – Recognized by the Office of Student Life and Diversity, the Global Culture Club was established in fall 2019 with the first group of 26 international students from 16 different countries. The Global Culture Club plans social events throughout the year. The main event is the “International Extravaganza” in April of every year. Membership is open to any Saint Paul College student. You might consider running for the Club Board which consists of a president, vice president, secretary and treasurer. The Global Culture Club has a budget, through Student Life, to plan these social events. Meetings are held every other week over the lunch hour from 12 noon to 1 pm. We encourage you to join, and be active in the Global Culture Club!
  7. Metro Transit (public transportation) – As a Saint Paul College student, you can purchase an unlimited public bus and light rail Metro Transit pass for $165/semester and $85/summer. The total cost for 12 months is $415 for this Metro Transit pass. The Metro Transit web site is here: https://www.metrotransit.org/default.aspx. There are bus routes all over Saint Paul and Minneapolis, and there are two light rail lines. There is an app you can download on your phone to check real-time bus and train schedules. Saint Paul and Minneapolis has a very good public transportation system and you do not need a vehicle to live in Saint Paul, Minnesota.
  8. “Saint Paul College F-1 International Students” facebook – You received a facebook invitation at the time you were admitted to Saint Paul College as an international student to this facebook group. If you did not join, but want to join now, please go to: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SaintPaulCollegeInternational/. Important announcements, social events and other information is shared through this facebook group.
  9. Academic advising and four-year university options – the international student advisor can help you think through your long-term academic goals and four-year university options. Saint Paul College currently has guaranteed conditional admission with the following universities:
    1. List of Partner Universities
      1. Augsburg University
      2. St. Catherine University (for women only)
      3. St. Cloud State University
      4. Concordia University
      5. Hamline University
      6. Mankato State University
      7. St. Mary’s University in Minneapolis
      8. Metro State University
      9. University of Minnesota Duluth
      10. University of St. Thomas
      11. North Dakota State University
      12. College of St. Benedict St. John's University
      13. Washington State University

      While the University of Minnesota Twin Cities is not a participant in this guaranteed conditional admission program, Saint Paul College is part of the Minnesota Cooperative Admissions Program (MnCAP). You can transfer credits from Saint Paul College to the University of Minnesota Twin Cities

      This does not mean you have to go to one of these four-year universities. There are many university options and the international student advisor can help you think through the process, options, your budget and what is a good fit for you.

  10. Graduation and Inviting Parents - If your parents want to attend your graduation ceremony, they would come on a B-2 tourist visa. It is not required that your parents have an invitation letter. However, if you wish to write your own invitation letter, your letter should include: your name, state you are in F-1 status, attend Saint Paul College, the major and degree you have earned, the date of the graduation ceremony, the proposed length of their visit, evidence of funding to support their trip, evidence that your parents intend to return home at the end of their visit, and include copies of your passport, I-20, F-1 visa, I-94 and official transcript.
One Click Away From Your Future
Visit Apply Request Info