fb International Student Services Employment
Skip to main content Sign In

Saint Paul College A Community & Technical College

International Student Services Employment

  1. On-Campus employment - F-1 students can work on-campus, up to 20 hours/week, in any student employment or student worker job starting your first semester. F-1 students are not eligible for “work study” jobs. There are very limited opportunities for on-campus employment for F-1 students and you cannot rely on this as a source of income. Check with the cafeteria and the Tutoring Center for student worker jobs. All on-campus jobs are posted here: https://www.collegecentral.com/saintpaul/
  2. Off-Campus Employment
    1. CPT - Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is off-campus work authorization in your field of study. To be eligible for CPT, you must be in valid F-1 status, have completed one full academic year (two semesters) of full-time study, have an internship in your field of study, not graduated and register for an internship or independent study course. Internships can be paid or unpaid. You must speak with the international student advisor if you are thinking of applying for CPT. There is an application process, you must register for a pre-approved internship course and ask for your faculty signature on the CPT application. It is your responsibility to find your own internship. CPT can only be authorized for a specific internship and for specific dates. You, therefore, must have secured the internship before applying for CPT. You cannot start work until the CPT has been approved and you have received your new I-20 with the CPT dates on the I-20. Working off-campus without this authorization received, in advance, is a violation of your F-1 visa status.
      CPT Faculty Advisor Verification Form_Fillable.pdf
      CPT Site Approval Form_Fillable.pdf
    2. OPT - Optional Practical Training (OPT) is temporary off-campus work authorization for 12 months after you graduate with your Associate degree. Any job you get in that 12-month time frame must be related to your field of study. 90 days prior to graduation you may submit the online I-765 form along with the $410 fee. You must speak with the international student advisor in advance and request a “OPT recommended” I-20. There are other materials that you must gather before filing in your online I-765 application and the international student advisor can help you with this. It is currently taking US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) anywhere between 2.5 and 5 months to approve a OPT application and mail you the Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card. You may not begin working until you have your EAD card in hand and the start date has passed. After your OPT has started, you then must still maintain your current mailing address with Saint Paul College and also in your Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) Portal account. You must update all employment through your SEVP Portal account. You must work at least 20 hours per week in one or more jobs related to your field of study and you must not accrue more than 90 days of unemployment during the 12-month time frame. See helpful video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL3JUx_YMOk

      Saint Paul College OPT application instructions
One Click Away From Your Future
Visit Apply Request Info