Basic Needs

We’re here to help if you need assistance with food, housing, mental health, and more. If you have any questions please contact us.

Photo of students on campus.
Photo of students on campus.

Campus Food Pantry Now Open

Campus Food Pantry

Located in LL567, the Campus Food Pantry is open to all Saint Paul College students, staff, and faculty. Shop in the pantry as often as you need and take as much as you need. Everything in the Campus Food Pantry is completely free of charge.

Items available include shelf-stable foods, produce, proteins and dairy products, household items, and personal hygiene items. Items available change based on what is donated and available to order.

Campus Food Pantry
Tuesday10:00am – 4:30pm
Wednesday12:00pm – 4:30pm
Thursday9:00am – 2:00pm

Lactation Room

The lactation room is designed to be used infant feeding, nursing, breastfeeding, chestfeeding, or pumping. It is a comfortable, private space with a sink, microwave, cozy chair, refrigerator, and electrical source. Participants will have badge access to the lactation room throughout the semester. A new agreement must be completed each semester to maintain access. Contact the Office of Student Life and Diversity with questions.

Participant Responsibilities
Saint Paul College is committed to ensuring that the lactation room remains clean and secure. We ask that you help us achieve this by being respectful of the space and the other participants who use it.

Participants agree to:

  • Use the room for infant feeding or lactation purposes only.
  • Respect the privacy of other lactation room participants.
  • Not allow other individuals access to the lactation room at any time.
  • Secure the room during and after each use.
  • Not leave any personal items or equipment in the lactation room.
  • Clean up any spills or other untidiness created during use of the room.
  • Not leave any stored milk in the refrigerator overnight. Any milk left overnight may be discarded.
  • Provide all supplies I will need such as a pump, accessories, storage containers, ice packs, cooler, etc.
  • Complete a new agreement each semester and understand that badge access to the lactation room will be revoked if I do not do so.
  • Notify the Office of Student Life and Diversity if I no longer need to use the room, if my schedule changes, or if I have questions 651.846.1659 or
  • Contact Public Safety for maintenance or security concerns at 651.846.1322 or

You must complete a new agreement each semester to avoid scheduling conflicts. If you are having trouble finding time to use the lactation room due to scheduling or course conflicts. Students should reach out to the Title IX Office at to discuss accommodations and employees should reach out to the Human Resources Department at

College Responsibilities
Saint Paul College is committed to ensuring the lactation room remains clean and secure. We will take the actions below to ensure equitable access to the space. The College will:

  • Ensure that the lactation room is clean, tidy, and secure.
  • Provide a sink, a microwave, a cozy chair, a refrigerator, and an electrical source.
  • Provide dish soap, antibacterial wipes, and paper towels.
  • Provide each participant with a clear storage bin and lock to secure expressed milk until the end of the day.
  • Not be responsible for securing personal items left in the room against theft or use by others.
  • Possibly remove and dispose of any items left in the refrigerator overnight.
  • Respond to any safety and maintenance concerns on time.
  • Connect participants with the Title IX office to discuss accommodations for lactating students who are having trouble finding time to use the lactation room due to course scheduling constraints.

Complete a Participant Agreement
If you need to access the lactation room, please complete the appropriate form below or contact the Student Life and Diversity office for more information.

Photo of the college campus.


Different ways we can
help support you.


Eating on Campus
There are two main places to eat on campus City View Cafe and City View Espresso. For up to date hours and COVID protocols please visit

Student are also welcome to bring their own food to campus. Microwaves are located at the City View Cafe for your convenience. Please note that there is no refrigeration storage available for student use.

There are also free breakfast kits and snacks located in the Student Life office (1265). These are available to all students during the Student Life office open hours (Monday – Thursday 9:00am – 4:30pm).

Local Food Shelves
Most food shelves require photo ID and proof of residence (utility bill, medical card, etc.). They will serve a person only once a month. If you are unsure which food shelf to go to, call the MN Food Helpline at 1-888-711-1151.

Hallie Q. Brown/MLK Center
270 North Kent
Phone: 651.224.4606
Hours: By appointment. Monday: 9:00am – 6:00pm; Tuesday-Friday: 9:00am – 5:00pm. Make an appointment online!

You can visit Keystone’s Community Food Center located at 1800 University Ave W, Saint Paul, MN 55104. The center is between the Wendy’s and Arby’s on the corner of Fairview and University. No appointment or advanced registration is required. Food shelf participants are served on a first come, first served basis during the hours listed below. Please call 651-917-3792 if you have any questions.

Monday: 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. & 2:00 – 4:00 p.m.
Tuesday: 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. & 2:00 – 4:00 p.m.
Wednesday: closed in the morning, 4:00 – 7:00 p.m.
Thursday: 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. & 2:00 – 4:00 p.m.
Friday: 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. & 2:00 – 4:00 p.m.

Keystone Community Services (Rice Street)
1459 Rice Street Suite 3
Phone: 651.487.2792, ext. 100
Hours: Walk-in only, first-come first-served; Monday-Friday: 10:00 – 11:30am; 1:00 – 3:30pm.
The Keystone Food Mobile also visits campus on a monthly basis. See the Student Events Calendar for information. * serves residents of their area.

Neighborhood House
179 Robie Street East
Phone: 651.789.2500
Hours: Walk-in only. Monday–Friday: 9–11:30am, 1–3:30pm. Open until 7:30pm on the third Wednesday of the month.

Food Support Benefits

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program(SNAP)
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is a monthly financial benefit that helps you to purchase healthy food at your local grocery and convenience store, farmers’ market, and even through Walmart and Amazon delivery. If you are approved, you will receive a monthly payment onto your Electronic Balance Transfer (EBT) card. The monthly payment amount for a household of one rangesfrom $20-$250. The EBT card looks and acts just like a debit card. You swipe the card at a cash register and the card balance is updated.

This program can help you stretch your food budget any buy more of the foods that you need and want!

* Income guidelines are based on household size. See info below:

  • Number of people in your household 1 = $1755
  • Number of people in your household 2 = $2371
  • Number of people in your household 3 = $2987
  • Number of people in your household 4 = $3603
  • Number of people in your household 5 = $4219
  • Number of people in your household 6 = $4835
  • Number of people in your household 7 = $5451
  • Number of people in your household 8 = $6067

Note: For each additional family member above 8, add $616. Income guidelines are updated each year. These guidelines are for October 1, 2020 through September 30, 2021.

Use this SNAP Eligibility Calculator to see if you might be eligible for the program. You can also call the MN Food Helpline (1.888.711.1151) for assistance checking your eligibility

To apply:

  • Apply online at (available in English and Spanish)
  • Print out and complete a paper application. Applications can be found on the DHS Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program page
    • Paper applications available in English, Hmong, Russian, Somali, Spanish and Vietnamese.
  • For over-the-phone assistance, call the MN Food Helpline (1.888.711.1151). An associate can help you fill out the application over the phone.

For college students, there are program exemptions making it easier to be eligible. If you have specific questions about college student eligibility, please contact Saint Paul College’s basic needs coordinator, Emma Kiley,

Hunger Solutions Minnesota – Minnesota Food Helpline
Phone: 1.888.711.1151 (Multilingual assistance is also available)
Hours: Monday–Friday: 10:00am – 5:00pm.
Provides: Statewide food resource information and referral helpline. Callers can be screened for SNAP eligibility and assisted with completing the application. Assists callers in locating food resources in their own community such as a food shelf and/or hot meal site. Also makes referrals for other public food programs like WIC (Women, Infants and Children and NAPS (Nutrition Assistance Program for Seniors).


Rental Housing

Looking for a house or apartment to rent can be challenging! Many people find rental housing using online tools like Zumper, Padmapper, ApartmentList, LiveLovely, or Craigslist. Other people find rental housing by asking friends or family members if they know of anything available or looking for “For Rent” signs in their neighborhood.

Materials from the Minnesota Attorney General’s Office can help you know more about the process and how to protect yourself:

If you are having trouble with your landlord, HOME Line Tenant Hotline provides free legal, organizing, education, and advocacy services so that tenants can solve their own rental housing problems. The HOME Line hotline advocates provide free advice regarding Minnesota tenant/landlord law:

Phone: 612.728.5767; toll free 1.866.866.3546
Hours: Monday–Thursday: 9:00am – 6:00pm; Friday: 9:00am – 3:00pm.

Emergency Shelter and Housing Support Services

Ramsey County Coordinated Access to Housing and Shelter (CAHS) provides housing services and support for Ramsey County families, single adults and unaccompanied youth who are homeless or at imminent risk of becoming homeless.

To see if you qualify for an intake please call United Way 211for a prescreen. If eligible, United Way 211 will advise you on the next appropriate steps.
Phone: 651.291.0211

Single adults 25 years or older
Phone: 651.647.3137
Appointments must be scheduled through the housing screener.

Youth ages 16-24
Phone: 651.224.9644
Monday-Friday: 10:00am – 8:00pm

If the family is experiencing domestic violence, also try Minnesota Day One Emergency Shelter and Crisis Hotline at 1.866.223.1111.


Health Insurance

MNsure is the health insurance exchange where individuals and families select a health care plan, including low cost or free coverage. Insurance rules are constantly changing so even if you have not been able to get coverage in the past you may be qualify under the new rules. You are able to sign up for MNsure on their website, over the phone, and in person.

Phone: 1.855.3MNSURE (1.855.366.7873) or 651.539.2099
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8am – 4pm

Community Clinics

Portico Healthnet / 489-CARE Referral Line
Provides assistance finding health care services, including care available to those who are uninsured or underinsured. They can refer you to affordable medical, dental and mental health care; also provides health insurance information and can provide assistance in applying for insurance.
Phone: 651.489.2273; 1.866.489.4899

The clinics below offer sliding scale fees which means that you pay what you can afford to pay. Call for hour or to schedule an appointment.

East Side Family Clinic & Health Start
895 East 7th Street
Phone: 651.602.7500

Family Tree Clinic
1619 Dayton Avenue
Phone: 651.645.0478

Open Cities Health Center
409 Dunlap Street North
Phone: 651.290.9202

St. Mary’s Health Clinics
Seven locations in the Twin Cities
Phone: 651.287.7777

St. Paul-Ramsey County Public Health-Clinic 555
555 Cedar Street
Phone: 651.266.1255

United Family Medicine Peter J. King Family Health Center
1026 West 7th Street (Randolph & W. 7th)
Phone: 651.241.1000

West Side Health Center — “La Clinica”
153 Cesar Chavez Street
Phone: 651.602.7500


Saint Paul College strives to be a supportive environment for students who are parents or who are expecting.

Students who are pregnant should reach out to the Mike Gerold – Director of Student Rights & Responsibilities/Title IX Coordinator to make a plan to ensure that they are able to be successful as a student during pregnancy and after. Each student will have different needs, preferences, and medical requirements so plans are extremely individualized. The Title IX Office can also help plan a student’s return to campus after the birth of their child.

Minnesota Child Care Assistance Program
It is important to know that your child is well cared for while you are at work or school. Paying for child care can be difficult. Minnesota’s Child Care Assistance Program can help make quality child care affordable for families with low incomes.

Women, Infant and Children (WIC) Supplemental Program
Minnesota WIC is a nutrition and breastfeeding program that helps eligible pregnant people, new parents, babies, and young children eat well, learn about nutrition, and stay healthy. The WIC program provides monthly benefits to help parents buy nutritious foods (including baby formula) for families with young children.

* While called the Women, Infant and Children program, pregnant people and new parents who do not identify as female can still be eligible for the program

  • You do not need to be a U.S. citizen to be eligible for WIC
  • Foster parent(s) or guardian(s) with an infant or child under age 5 may also be eligible

Mental Health

Starting your college career or going through life transitions can be challenging for anyone. We know that this is a time when students often struggle with mental health concerns so there are a variety of resources available here on campus.

Saint Paul College Counseling and Mental Health
Counseling Services at Saint Paul College provides free and confidential personal counseling and consultation to promote personal development and well-being for all students. This department is able to as assist students in defining and meeting personal, academic, and career objectives and can provide ongoing mental health therapy sessions that provide diagnostic assessments/mental health evaluations and ongoing therapy sessions.

Ramsey County Mental Health Resources

Ramsey County Mental Health Services Children’s Crisis Response Crisis
Phone: 651.266.7878 (24 hours)
Provides: Crisis intervention for Ramsey County youth (ages 0–18) and their families.

Ramsey County Crisis Outreach
Phone: 651.266.7900
Provides: Assessment, referral and mobile outreach for adults in Ramsey County experiencing a mental health crisis.

Ramsey County Mental Health Center
1919 University Avenue West Suite 200
Phone: 651.266.7890
Provides: Group and individual counseling; case management intake; partial hospitalization program, and personal recovery services. Psychiatrist on site. Intensive outpatient mental health peer recovery program; MI/CD intensive outpatient program.

Community Mental Health Services

Comunidades Latinos Unidos en Servicios (CLUES)
797 East 7th Street
Phone: 651.379.4200
Provides: Bilingual family therapy in addition to individual, couples, child and adolescent therapy.

Face to Face Health & Counseling Service
1165 Arcade Street
Phone: 651.772.5555
Provides: Individual and family counseling; counseling for victims of sexual abuse and incest; focus around sexuality and gender identity.

Lutheran Social Services-East Metro
700 Snelling Avenue South (in Gloria Dei Lutheran Church)
Phone: 612.879.5320
Provides: Individual, couples, and family counseling, support for victims of abuse, and referral for longer-term counseling.

Regions Hospital Emergency Department
640 Jackson Street
Phone: 651.254.1000
Intake procedures: Walk-in to Emergency Dept. Fees vary, although no one will be denied services for inability to pay. Provides: Risk assessment, psychiatric evaluation, referral, or admission, and connection to resources, for adults (ages 18 and over) who are experiencing a mental health or chemical health crisis; resources and support to victims of sexual assault or domestic abuse.

Walk-in Counseling Center
Main Location: 2421 Chicago Avenue South, Minneapolis
Additional Locations: Walk-In at Family Tree Clinic and Neighborhood House
Phone: 612.870.0565
Provides: Counseling for people with urgent needs and few resources; serves individuals, couples and families. Remarks: Services are anonymous, no appointment is necessary for walk-in clinics; no paperwork; no fee, although donations are accepted. Call to make arrangements for counseling in Spanish.


If you have experienced violence you have many options. You do not have to decide right away and it is okay if you decide you do not want to take any of the options in this section. You can choose as many or as few actions as you want. For more information visit

Confidential Resources
Confidential resources may maintain your complete confidentiality, offering you options and advice without any obligation to tell anyone, unless you want them to.

Medical Care
Care for physical health or injuries and infection/pregnancy prevention available at local hospital emergency departments. Ask for a forensic exam. You don’t need to report to police to get medical care.

  • Regions Hospital: 651.254.3456
  • St. Joseph’s Hospital: 651.232.3000
  • United Hospital: 651.241.800

Confidential advocates are available to talk, safety plan, and offer resources 24 hours a day, every day. SOS advocates offer 1-1 advocacy on campus by appointment.

  • SOS Sexual Violence Services: 651.266.1000
  • SPIP (Domestic Violence): 651.645.2824
  • Minnesota Day One (Domestic Violence): 1.866.223.1111
  • Rape & Incest National Network (RAINN): 1.800.656.4673

Reporting Resources
Reporting resources are available if you want to report crimes and policy violations. When you make a report, the individual or agency is required to take action. If you choose to report what happened to you to the College or to the police, you should know that the College and the police investigate and make decisions separately. An advocate from SOS or SPIP can help you navigate these processes.

Local Police
Call 9-1-1 in an emergency. Advocates from SOS or staff from Saint Paul College are available to assist in talking to police on request.

  • Saint Paul Police: 651.291.1111
  • Minneapolis Police: 612.348.2345
  • Ramsey County Sherriff: 651.266.9333

Campus Public Safety
651.846.1322 | Room 1355 |

Officers from Campus Safety respond to campus incidents and can take action to help keep you safe.

Title IX Office
Mike Gerold: 651.846.1327; Room 1401B

The Title IX Office investigates conduct violations and determine academic accommodations that can help you succeed as you heal.

Online Anonymous Reporting
If you want the college to know what happened but aren’t sure you want to come forward, you can report it online anonymously.

Financial Assistance

Saint Paul College Resources
Saint Paul College financial aid is available to help students finance the cost of an education. Financial aid come s in the form of grants (money that the student does not have to pay back), loans (money that the student must pay back) and college work-study (money the student earns through employment).

Saint Paul College also has Saint Paul College has a limited amount of emergency financial assistance that is available to currently enrolled students who are experiencing a financial hardship due to an unexpected event or emergency. The funds are not intended to replace or supplement financial aid.

Ramsey County Financial Assistance Services
Ramsey County helps determine your eligibility for financial assistance programs, including child care, food support, health care, housing, and a variety of other programs.

Bridge to Benefits helps link low-income residents to public support programs and tax credits by providing a survey that helps you determine if you may be eligible for financial assistance programs.

Types of assistance

How to apply
You can apply and learn more about assistance by phone and online.

Apply for cash assistance, food and childcare assistance programs online through

Apply for healthcare through

Ramsey County operates a 24/7 automated EZ Info phone line (651.266.3800) to provide information about financial assistance programs in English, Spanish, Hmong, and Somali.

  • Check if documents have been received.
  • Access your financial assistance eligibility, program and benefits status.
  • Leave messages for your worker and report changes in your situation.
  • Get directions to the Government Center East Building.


Whether you’re looking for a job on campus or off, the place to start is at the Saint Paul College Career Services Office. Career Services at Saint Paul College exists to serve current students, future students and alumni in their career development by providing career exploration, career readiness, job and internship search, and employer connections.

For more information visit:

Unemployment Benefits
If you are currently unemployed you may be eligible for Unemployment Benefits through the State of Minnesota. For more information visit:


Saint Paul College encourages eligible students to vote. Due to Covid anyone can request a mail-in ballot through the Minnesota Secretary of State.

For more information about how to register, where to vote, and deadlines, visit:


Technology Access
Currently, the campus has a limited number of computers available in Rooms 1506-1510 for current students to use if they do not have access to technology. Students wishing to use this computer lab must enter campus through the West Entrance, complete a required screening before arrival, and must check-in at the security station inside that entrance using their student photo ID. Only current employees and students may access the building.

Equipment Checkout & Internet
Chromebooks, Mobile HotSpots, iPads, and Virtual Reality equipment can be checked out through the Saint Paul College IT on a first come, first serve basis.


If you are in need of legal or advocacy assistance related to immigration, please refer to the resources below:

Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota (ILCM)

American Civil Liberties Union of Minnesota

The Advocates of Human Rights
Main Line: 612.341.3302
Immigrant Client Line: 612.341.9845

International Institute of Minnesota (IIM)

LatinX based community non-profit organization

Council on American-Islamic Relations, Minnesota (CAIR-MN)


As a Saint Paul College student, you can purchase an unlimited public bus and light rail Metro Transit pass for $165/semester and $85/summer. The total cost for 12 months is $415 for this Metro Transit pass. There are bus routes all over Saint Paul and Minneapolis, and there are two light rail lines. There is an app you can download on your phone to check real-time bus and train schedules. Saint Paul and Minneapolis has a very good public transportation system and you do not need a vehicle to live in Saint Paul, Minnesota.

Name Department Contact