F-1 International Student Application Process

An F-1 international student is a student who requires an F-1 visa and is looking to attend Saint Paul College on F-1 status. If this is you, please follow the steps below to apply!

If you have any questions about the international student application and admissions process, please contact International Student Admissions at international@saintpaul.edu, or 651.403.4470.

Students chatting in the student life area.

Before Applying

Application Deadlines

New students outside of the U.S
Fall Semester – May 1
Spring Semester – October 1

Transfer students currently in the U.S. and on an F-1 visa
Fall Semester – July 1
Spring Semester – December 1

A new international student can apply for fall and spring admission only. For important dates and information view our Academic Calendar.

Eligible Majors and Programs of Study

As an F-1 student, the course requirements of your primary major on your I-20 must be able to meet F-1 regulatory enrollment requirements. Not all programs at Saint Paul College are I-20 eligible.

Eligible programs include all Associate degree (AA, AS, or AAS) programs that do not require majority online enrollment and course requirements align with F-1 regulatory requirements. The English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program is also I-20 eligible as an English language training program.

Students wishing to pursue an academic degree program at Saint Paul College who do not quite meet English proficiency requirements for degree programs may be issued an I-20 for a Pathway Program. Students in the Pathway Program will begin with intensive EAP courses and matriculate into their Associate degree program of choice upon completion of those courses. F-1 students can also enroll in the EAP program as an English language training program with no intention of matriculation to a degree program.

International Student Admissions will inform you if you select a program that is not I-20 eligible when you submit your application. If you have questions about which programs are I-20 eligible before applying, please email international@saintpaul.edu.

Special Application Programs

Saint Paul College has several special application programs that international students can apply to. These programs are:

  • Medical Laboratory Technician Associate of Applied Science Degree
  • Respiratory Therapist Associate of Applied Science Degree
  • Sign Language Interpreter/Transliterator Associate of Applied Science Degree
  • Surgical Technology Associate of Applied Science Degree

If you apply to Saint Paul College for one of these programs, you will be admitted into a pre-program. You will be required to take prerequisite classes before you can submit a special application to start classes for these programs. These prerequisite classes will take one or more semesters to complete. Depending on the program, there may be additional requirements.

Each program has different requirements and deadlines for the program application, and admission to the program is not guaranteed even if all prerequisite classes are completed. If you are not accepted into the program, you may need to change your program of student. It is highly recommended that students pursuing these programs meet regularly with their Pathway Advisor while in the pre-program to plan for the special application and timelines.

Steps to Apply

1. Submit the online application

Submitting the online application is the first step in the application process. The online application is free to submit. When you submit your online application, you will create a Star ID and password. Be sure to write your Star ID and password down. You will need to know your Star ID and password for the next application step and as a student at Saint Paul College.

2. Prepare and submit your required application documents

All international application documents are submitted through the International Application eForm. You should prepare the below documents before logging into the eForm.

After logging into the form, you will only have 30 minutes to complete and submit the form before the form will time out and delete your information.

Required Documents

  • Proof of high school/secondary school completion
  • Proof of English proficiency
  • Proof of funds/financial eligibility
  • Additional required documents

3. Receive admissions decision

After submitting the eForm, your documents will be reviewed within 5-10 business days. We will notify you via email if we require any additional documents or information. Once your application has been accepted, you will be notified via email of your admission. You will receive you Form I-20, Saint Paul College acceptance letter, and instructions on applying for the F-1 visa within 5-10 business days of your admission to the college.

After you have been admitted, there are important next steps you must complete before your arrival to Saint Paul College, and before you can register for classes. Visit the Next Steps for International Students page for more information about your Form I-20, applying for the F-1 visa, and steps required to register for classes at Saint Paul College.

Additional Information

Guaranteed Conditional Admissions

Saint Paul College has partnered with the following four-year universities for guaranteed conditional admissions. At the time you apply to Saint Paul College, you may contact Saint Paul College to request a guaranteed conditional admissions letter for one of these universities.

Guaranteed conditional admissions are non-binding and you can change your plan later on. By participating in guaranteed conditional admissions, you will be authorizing Saint Paul College to give your contact information to the university you select. When you apply for your student visa, you should show the consular officer both letters of admission and be prepared to explain your four-year academic plan.

List of partner universities:

*Please note: this is not an exhaustive list of universities you may transfer to after Saint Paul College. Saint Paul College students may transfer to any institution they are admitted to. This list is of those universities participating in our guaranteed conditional admissions program for international student admissions.

While the University of Minnesota Twin Cities is not a participant in this guaranteed conditional admission program, Saint Paul College is part of the Minnesota Cooperative Admissions Program (MnCAP). You can transfer credits from Saint Paul College to the University of Minnesota Twin Cities.

International Credit Transfer and Evaluation

Saint Paul College does not evaluate international transcripts. If you have a college/university transcript from a foreign country and you wish to transfer your credit to Saint Paul College, you must have a third party transcript evaluator determine how the courses translate to U.S. courses.

While we will accept evaluations from any AICE (www.aice-eval.org) or NACES member (www.naces.org), we highly recommend Educational Credential Evaluators (www.ece.org) or World Education Services, Inc. (www.wes.org). Saint Paul College reserves the right to request additional information from you such as course descriptions, syllabi, etc. There is no guarantee that your credits will transfer and it is your responsibility to request a timely evaluation.

Allow 4-8 weeks for a transcript evaluation to be completed after you have been admitted to a major at Saint Paul College.

F-2 Dependents

A dependent of an F-1 student is an F-2 dependent. To qualify as an F-2 dependent, the dependent must be the spouse (married partner), or unmarried minor child (under the age of 21) of the F-1 student.

F-1 applicants must demonstrate an additional $6,000 in available funds for the first dependent, and an additional $3,000 for each additional dependent thereafter.

The following information must also be provided for each dependent:

  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • Country of citizenship
  • Country of birth
  • Relationship to the student (spouse or child)

Upon completing the admission process to Saint Paul College, both the F-1 applicant and the F-2 dependent(s) each receive Forms I-20 needed to apply for the F-1 and F-2 visas, respectively.

Regulations for F-2 dependents (after arrival to Saint Paul College):

  • F-2 dependents are not eligible to work in the US and cannot obtain a social security number. There is zero option for work authorization while on F-2 status.
  • F-2 dependent children can attend public school while in the US
  • F-2 dependents can engage in study at an SEVP-approved school (including Saint Paul College), as long as they are enrolled less than full time (11 credits or less)

F-2 dependents maintain legal presence in the US as long as the F-1 student maintains their legal F-1 status. If the F-1 student departs the US permanently, the F-2 dependents must also depart.

F-1 students can bring their spouse or children dependents when they first enter the US, or after the F-1 student has entered the US. The F-2 dependent would still need to go through the F-2 visa application process.

If you have questions about F-2 dependents, or to add F-2 dependents, please email international@saintpaul.edu.

Can a family member, friend, or external advisor help students apply?

A family member or friend can help you with your application, but you as the student must ultimately submit the online application and all subsequent application documents.

Due to federal privacy laws (FERPA), Saint Paul College staff cannot speak to anyone except the student regarding their application status and any official college records. If you have an individual whom you would like to give College staff permission to speak with in regard to your application and materials needed to complete the application, you must submit the Authorization to Release Student Information eForm. This form must be completed by the student applicant.

Required Documents

Proof of high school/secondary school completion

Submit your high school or secondary school certificate showing the date of completion. The certificate must lead to university study. An English translation is required if the original document is not in English.

Higher education transcripts or diplomas may be accepted in certain cases to verify high school/secondary school completion.

Proof of English proficiency

Proof of English proficiency is required for all international applicants. You can meet this requirement through test scores or successful completion of courses.

Test Score Requirements

Duolingo English Test

  • Degree Programs Admission
    • 85 or above
  • English Language Training (EAP) Admission
    • 70 or above

Test of English Foreign Language (TOEFL)
Saint Paul College institution code is 0534.

  • Degree Programs Admission
    • 52 iBT with at least 12 on each section
    • 150 computer-based
    • 470 paper-based
    • B2 CEFR level TOEFL Essentials
  • English Language Training (EAP) Admission
    • 48 iBT

International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

  • Degree Programs Admission
    • 5.5 with at least 4.5 on each section
  • English Language Training (EAP) Admission
    • 5.0

Cambridge English

  • Degree Programs Admission
    • B2 First, C1 Advanced, or C2 Proficiency – 162
  • English Language Training (EAP) Admission
    • B1 Preliminary, B2 First – 154

Pearson English Proficiency Test (Pearson PTE)

  • Degree Programs Admission
    • 42 or above
  • English Language Training (EAP) Admission
    • 36 or above

Completion of Courses

  • English Language Center (ELS): completion of Intensive Level 109
  • Minnesota English Language Program (MELP) at the University of Minnesota: completion of Level 2, Intermediate
  • Completion of a college-level English composition course from a US institution with a grade of “C” or higher. Transcript required.

Native English Speakers
If you are a native English speaker, and/or your entire high school/secondary school education was completed in English language instruction, you may be waived from English proficiency requirements for admission. Please contact international@saintpaul.edu if you have questions.

Proof of funds/financial eligibility

Saint Paul College offers some of the most affordable tuition rates in the state of Minnesota. International students pay the same rate of tuition as domestic students.

International students are responsible for all educational and personal expenses for the duration of their F-1 status at Saint Paul College. To issue a Form I-20, Saint Paul College is required by the United States government to collect evidence that demonstrates you have the funds necessary to cover your tuition, fees, and living expenses for your first academic year.

The estimated cost of one academic year of tuition, fees, books, supplies, health insurance, and living expenses is $24,015 USD.

Evidence of additional funds must be provided for students bringing F-2 dependents (children under 21 or spouse) to the US ($6,000 for the first dependent, and an additional $3,000 for each dependent thereafter).

You must submit both of the below documents to demonstrate proof of funds:

  • Financial Certification Statement Form (click the link to access the form)
    • On this form, indicate your source of funds.
    • If you are sponsored by another individual, you must include your relationship to that individual (“family”, “sponsor”, etc.). Your sponsor should sign the form.
    • If you are self-sponsored, you should sign the form.
  • A bank statement, letter, or account statement showing at least $24,015 USD
    • Must be dated within the last 3 months
    • Must be liquid funds (retirement accounts, proof of salary, etc., cannot be accepted)
    • Must contain the name of the account holder, currency, type of account, and account balance
    • If the bank account is in the name of a business, you must also provide an official signed letter on the business’ letterhead indicating that you will have access to the funds demonstrated on the statement provided

Students are expected to have full access to the funds demonstrated during the admission to Saint Paul College.

Saint Paul College does not offer any first-semester scholarships, and the college does not have assured financial aid or financial support available. As an international student, it is critical that you have the funds to support yourself throughout the duration of your studies at Saint Paul College. On-campus work opportunities are extremely limited. There are no off-campus work opportunities for F-1 students in the first year of study and the options that become available after the first year are also limited and not guaranteed. Please do not rely on any type of employment or college scholarship as a means of long-term financial support.

Additional required documents

For international transfer students only (students already in the US on an F-1 visa planning to transfer your I-20/SEVIS record):

  • Copy of unofficial US transcript (please note that an official transcript will be required for the transfer of university credit)
  • Copy of F-1 visa
  • Copy of Form I-20
  • Copy of I-94 record

Saint Paul College reserves the right to request additional verification of application documents. Providing fraudulent documents or information in your application may result in the denial of your admission and I-20 issuance with no option to appeal.