Let’s take a look at types of Financial Aid

Saint Paul College offers several different types of financial aid.

Types of Financial Aid include grants – money that does not need to be repaid after graduation; loans that do have to be paid after graduation; and work-study programs – jobs you work on campus to earn money. Additionally, there are other types of financial aid that you qualify for

Grants Available at Saint Paul College

Made possible through generous financial aid programs, we offer many grants that do not need to be repaid after graduation. Please note that students who have already earned a bachelor’s degree or the equivalent from another college are not eligible for these grants. 

The Federal Pell Grant

Students may apply for the Federal Pell Grant by completing the FAFSA. Pell Grants vary from $400 annually to the federally legislated maximum. Pell Grant recipients must be enrolled in an eligible program.  

More information about the Federal Pell Grant 

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) program is designed for students with exceptional financial need. Funds are limited, and the Financial Aid Office determines eligibility. To apply, you must complete the FAFSA and be Pell-eligible. Awards are commonly awarded to early applicants. 

More information about the FSEOG 

Minnesota State Grant

The Minnesota State Grant is a grant for Minnesota residents who are attending an accredited post-secondary institution. Awards are similar to the Pell Grant. Students apply by completing the FAFSA. Minnesota State grant eligibility requires the FAFSA to be received within the first 30 days after the term begins.  

More information about the Minnesota State Grant 

Minnesota Child Care Grant

The Minnesota Child Care Grant is for students who are Minnesota residents, have children 12 and under (14 and under, if handicapped), have financial need, and have child care expenses. Recipients must not be receiving Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) assistance. Students who have received an Award Letter can download the Minnesota Child Care Grant or pick up an application at Admissions & Financial Aid, Room 1300. Important: Your childcare provider will be required to complete a Provider Verification. 

More information about the Minnesota Child Care Grant

Minnesota Dream Act

Undocumented students can apply for state financial aid by accessing the online MN Dream Act – State Financial Aid application. Students must have attended a Minnesota high school for at least three years, graduated from a Minnesota high school or earned a GED in Minnesota, register with the U.S. Selective Service (applies only to males 18-25 years old), and provide documentation to show they have applied for lawful immigration status only if a federal process exists for a student to do so. The application must be submitted by the 30th day of the term to be eligible for the MN State Grant. 

Information about


Federal Direct Loan

Whether or not students qualify for a grant, they can get help to meet their educational expenses by borrowing money from the Direct Student Loan Program or one of several other available loan programs at Saint Paul College. Depending on their eligibility, first-year students may borrow up to $5,500 per academic year. Once the student completes 30 credits toward program requirements, they reach sophomore status, and eligibility increases to $6,500 per academic year. Students will determine their loan eligibility when they receive the Award Letter. 

Subsidized Loans are need-based loans. The government pays the interest during the school enrollment and the grace period. 

Unsubsidized Loans are not need-based loans. The student is responsible for the interest during enrollment, though payments are only required after the grace period. 

Apply for Federal Direct Loans
To request and self-certify a loan, you must meet all of the following requirements: 

  1. You completed the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) 
  2. You registered for a minimum of six credits for each term. 
  3. You received and reviewed your award letter on your eServices account 
  4. You are not currently on financial aid suspension 

Important things to consider
You can only submit an online Loan Request once before the start of a semester. Be sure of the amount you want before you request your loan. Changes to any loan request made after your initial request can only be made with the Request for Direct Loan Adjustment (PDF). Your loan may also require proration (a reduced amount you are eligible to borrow) if you are in your final semester or are enrolled in a program less than 24 credits in length. If you complete the Master Promissory Note and/or Entrance Counseling the same day you submit a loan request, it will take up to two weeks to certify. 

How to submit a loan request
Log into your eServices account. Select “Financial Aid,” then “Loans.” Follow the instructions for self-certification. 

Loan processing flow and time frames
After requesting your loan, it will be certified by the Financial Aid Office, and your loan servicer will mail you a disclosure statement, including the disbursement dates. Funds start applying to student accounts during the third week of classes. If you are a first-time loan borrower, there is a 30-day delay on the first disbursement. Any excess funds are sent to students with BankMobile Disbursements, a technology solution powered by BMTX, Inc. 

Adjusting or canceling a loan
If you have requested a Direct loan and want to make an adjustment or cancel the loan, do not return to the online request. You must complete the Loan Adjustment Form and submit it to Admissions & Financial Aid. You can download the Request for Direct Loan Adjustment (PDF) or pick one up in Admissions & Financial Aid. 

Transfer students
Saint Paul College requires students to complete Entrance Loan Counseling at Saint Paul College to receive a Direct loan regardless of whether it has been completed at another school—complete Entrance Loan Counseling at https://studentaid.gov/

PLUS Loans (Federal Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students)

Parents of dependent students who want to assist in paying for college may apply for a PLUS Loan through the federal government. Parents may borrow up to the student’s cost of attendance minus other aid, provided the student is enrolled in at least six credits. PLUS loans require a credit check. Repayment begins within 60 days of loan disbursement.

Start a PLUS Loan Application
Parents applying for the Federal Direct PLUS (Federal Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students) loan must complete the following: 

Step 1. Complete the Federal Direct PLUS Loan Request (PDF) and submit the completed form to the financial aid office. 

Step 2.  Complete the Federal Direct PLUS Master Promissory Note 

Entrance Loan Counseling Requirement

Students applying for loans must complete Entrance Loan Counseling before receiving their first loan. Saint Paul College requires this even if you have completed it through another institution. It is a guide to help students understand federal student loans, including repayment obligations, interest, enrollment requirements, accessing records, and who to contact with questions.

Exit Loan Counseling Requirement

Students applying for graduation, withdrawing, or who cease enrollment at Saint Paul College and have received a Federal Student Loan during their enrollment are required to complete Exit Loan Counseling. It is an online guide to help students understand what is expected during federal loans’ grace and repayment periods. This is a requirement only for students ending enrollment at Saint Paul College.

Federal Loan Reporting Information

The information is sent to your loan servicer and the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) if you receive a Federal Direct loan. If you have questions about your loans when you enter repayment, we encourage you to contact your servicer or find information about your servicer on the NSLDS website: https://studentaid.gov/. You are responsible for repaying student loans that you receive at Saint Paul College.

Other state agencies, federal agencies, colleges, and credit companies will have access to information about the loans you agree to repay. It is in your best interest to communicate regularly with your loan servicer.

Pay As You Earn Repayment Plan

If your student loan debt is high relative to your income, you may qualify for the Pay As You Earn Repayment Plan. Most Direct Loans—except for Direct PLUS Loans for parents and Direct Consolidation Loans that repaid PLUS loans for parents—are eligible for Pay As You Earn. You must have a partial financial hardship to qualify for Pay As You Earn.

Veterans Benefits and Cost of Attendance

Saint Paul College does not include veterans, ROTC, and other military benefits as resources when determining the need for the student’s cost of attendance. This is most common when determining a student’s eligibility for student loans or work-study. 

Code of Conduct Policy for Saint Paul College Staff

The following Code of Conduct is in response to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, signed into law on August 14, 2008. It applies to all Saint Paul College staff with Federal Title IV student loan responsibilities and prohibits a conflict of interest. Where applicable, this code is superseded by the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Employee Code of Conduct if more restrictive. 

Private Loans

You are strongly encouraged to pursue the availability of free or lower-cost financial aid with the College’s financial aid office. Free or lower-cost Title IV federal, state, or school student financial aid may be available in place of, or in addition to, a private education loan. To apply for Title IV federal grants, loans, and work-study, submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa, or by calling 1.800.4.FED.AID, or in the Financial Aid Office. 

  • A private education loan may reduce free or lower-cost federal, state, or school student financial aid eligibility. 
  • You must complete the Private Loan Form and provide it to your lender if you choose to apply for a private loan. 
  • The financial information required to complete this form can be obtained from the school’s financial aid office. If the lender has provided this information, you should contact your school’s financial aid office to verify this information and to discuss your financing options. 
  • The FastChoice tool is available to compare private loan lenders that Saint Paul College students have used in previous semesters. 

Saint Paul College Work-Study and Student Workers

Student employment allows Saint Paul College students to work in paying on-campus positions to help fund their education. These jobs allow you to enhance work-related skills in a professional environment. Student employment is not meant to be your sole source of financial support, nor is it considered part-time employment. It is a form of financial assistance. 

Types of Student Employment 

Students with need-based eligibility may apply for a Saint Paul College Work-Study position. The Financial Aid Office determines if a student is eligible based on information from the SAR (Student Aid Report). The SAR is generated once the student has completed and submitted the FAFSA. Students must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress standards to qualify. The federal government, state government, and Saint Paul College pay the funds for this program. 

Student Worker 
Student Workers do not have to meet the Saint Paul College Work-Study need-based eligibility standards. However, all student employees must meet Saint Paul College’s Satisfactory Academic Progress standards. The funds for this program come from Saint Paul College; therefore, only students with very specialized skills are hired as Student Workers. Offices or departments may hire students as their needs require and funds allow, with the approval of their respective Dean or Manager. 

Steps to Apply for Student Employment 

  1. Students interested in a Work-Study position must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and receive an award letter before applying for work-study positions. (Not necessary for Student Worker positions.) 
  2. Students must create an account on the College’s online job board (JobsOnline). Search by job type in “Search – My School’s Jobs”. 
  3. Students can view and apply for open student employment positions according to the application instructions on the job posting. 
  4. The supervisor of the position will contact applicants to set up interviews. 
  5. The supervisor will contact the student they want to hire and will also notify candidates that the position has been filled. 

You must submit a timesheet for each period worked to receive your paycheck. To do so, complete the following steps: 

  • Go to the Student Employment Timesheet Login
  • Remember to Clock In and Clock Out daily to keep an accurate account of your hours worked. 
  • Submit the timesheet to the supervisor/departmental administrator for approval by the due date on the Pay Schedule. 

Your paycheck may be delayed if an incomplete or incorrect timesheet is submitted. 

Student Payroll Pay Periods

Saint Paul College pays student employees bi-weekly. The Student Employment Payroll Calendar lists pay periods, timesheet submission due dates, and pay dates. Each pay period starts on a Wednesday and ends on a Tuesday. To ensure that student employees receive their paychecks on time, students and supervisors should electronically submit their timesheets by noon on the timesheet submission due date listed on the Student Employment Payroll Calendar. A reminder email will also be sent to all student employees the morning timesheets are due. 

Students may work up to 20 hours per week, 40 hours per pay period. 

For any questions regarding student employment, please contact: 

Financial Aid
Phone: 651.846.1386
Email: financial.aid@saintpaul.edu

Student Payroll Disbursement

You will need it to select a student payroll disbursement option. Learn more about disbursement options.  

Student Employment Handbook

This Student Employment Handbook has been prepared as a set of guidelines for hiring and supervising Saint Paul College student employees. It also presents an overview of supervisor expectations. This manual is not exhaustive, and any department hiring student employees may have additional standards and guidelines not explicitly defined in this manual. It is the supervisor’s responsibility to clearly state the expectations within this manual and all expectations specific to the job for which the student is hired. 

Student Employment Earned Sick And Safe Time

Effective Jan. 1, 2024, Minnesota’s earned sick and safe time law requires employers to provide paid leave to student employees.  

Other Sources of Financial Assistance

Several government and private agencies provide financial assistance to eligible students. Each agency determines eligibility. Contact the following agencies for consideration.  

Other Public and private resources for aid and information: