|82|| ||/programs/Pages/geographic-information-science.aspx||STEM: Science, Technology, Engineering and Math||Yes||Michael Johnson 2||3/22/2023 10:00 AM|
Geographic Information Science Associate of Applied Science Degree
Geographic Information Science Certificate
|Geographic Information Science AAS||Geographic Information Science Certificate||10/28/2016 3:21 PM||No|
- Students will have the opportunity to work on real GIS problems with an instructor who has many years of experience in the field.
- Graduates of the program may choose to continue their education at a four-year institution. For more specific information go to www.saintpaul.edu/Transfer
- Jobs for GIS Specialists are found throughout the country with opportunities in almost every sector of work. These positions offer excellent earning potential.
- Government Agencies
- Non-profit organizations
- Oil and Gas industry
- Science research
- Natural resource management
- Precision farming
GIS is an acronym for Geographic Information Science. The Geographic Information Science (GIS) Associate of Applied Science Degree will prepare students for entry level positions in various industries that require geospatial skills and thinking or for transitioning to four-year baccalaureate programs.
Students completing this degree will be able to create and import digital special data representing real-world features from the surface of the Earth with the goal of viewing, manipulating, and analyzing the data to be distributed and used in decision making.
The Geographic Information Science Certificate program is designed to introduce students to fundamental concepts in GIS and prepare them for entry level positions in various industries that require some knowledge and understanding of GIS.
Duties for many positions requiring GIS skills typically involve a combination of outside field work and indoor computer work.
GIS employees typically coordinate with other experts (e.g. geologists, business operations specialists, hydrologists, farmers, and urban planners) to discuss the scientific and managerial implications of their work.
Program Delivery Methods
Online, hybrid, traditional in-class courses and hands-on training in state-of-the-art labs on Saint Paul College campus, St. Paul, MN
In order to be admitted to the Geographic Information Science Certificate program, the student must have completed an associate degree or baccalaureate degree, or receive instructor approval if currently pursuing an associate degree in another discipline.
Saint Paul College has a transfer articulation agreement between the following program and post-secondary institution for the baccalaureate degree program listed below.
For more information please go to www.saintpaul.edu/Transfer.
Computer Geographic Information Science AAS Degree
- BA Individualized Studies, Metropolitan State University
- How to collect raw spatial data with GPS devices
- Importing data into computer systems
- Assessment of data for quality
- Map making and map projections
- Use of remote sensors to collect data
- GIS specific software like ArcGIS
- Coordinate with colleagues and clients about the scientific and managerial implications of solutions
|GIS Graphic Depicting Map Elements|