Transfer from Saint Paul College

If you are thinking about transferring from Saint Paul College to a four-year college or university, don’t wait – stop in and visit us in the Advising Center (Room 1340) to make sure you are on track to transfer to your college or university of choice.

Student studying in the library.

Transfer Timeline

Prior to starting Saint Paul College: Choose your program & meet with your advisor.
0-12 Credits: Explore 4-year programs and meet with a Pathway Advisor.
24-34 Credits: Connect with advisors at the college in which you’re interested.
35-45 Credits: Send in applications to 4-year colleges and universities.
45-60 Credits: Apply for Saint Paul College graduation
Degree Completed: Send final Saint Paul College transcripts to 4-year school.

Transferring Credits Reminder

The most important thing you should know is that the receiving college or university decides which credits transfer and if those credits meet degree requirements.

Which credits transfer?

Within the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system

A course that meets a Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) goal at Saint Paul College will meet the same goal at a Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Institution.

Colleges and Universities outside of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system

A course can meet a Minnesota Transfer Goal at Saint Paul College and yet may or may not be considered equivalent to a course at the receiving institution. The accreditation of both the sending and receiving institution can affect the transfer of credits earned, but it is not the only factor in determining transfer of credits. Institutions accept credits from courses and programs like those they offer. They look for similarity in course goals, content and level: “like” transfers to “like.” The name of a course is not sufficient to determine equivalency. Not everything that transfers counts toward graduation. Bachelor’s degree programs usually count credits in three categories: general education, major/minor courses and prerequisites/electives. The key question is, “Will your credits fulfill requirements of the degree or program you choose?”

Every college is different.

All colleges and universities are unique and differ from how they accept courses and other types of college credits (CLEP, AP, IB international credits, etc.); therefore it is important to talk to a Saint Paul College Pathway Advisor, consult college catalogs and Web sites and talk to advisors at the four-year institution. Transfer guides to four-year institutions may be available to provide guidance in selecting the courses intended to transfer from Saint Paul College.

AA Degree, AS Degree, AAS Degree – What makes these degrees different?
To ensure a smooth transfer from Saint Paul College to a four-year college or university, it is important to understand the types of degrees offered at Saint Paul College:

Associate of Arts (AA) degree

The Associate of Arts (AA) degree is designed for transfer and offers flexibility in terms of the variety of colleges to which a student can transfer and in the variety of majors that can be can chosen. The AA degree requires mostly general education courses (40 credits), which is what gives it more transferability. The AA degree consists of the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC). Completion of the MnTC with a 2.0 GPA meets the general education requirements at any of the public Minnesota State Colleges and Universities institutions and the University of Minnesota. Several private colleges also honor the AA degree. Some four-year majors require specific general education courses referred to as pre-major requirements. Note: Course requirements may vary depending on the major and transfer college, so it is important to talk to a Pathway Advisor at Saint Paul College and to advisors at the 4-year college.

For students who are undecided about their major and who are interested in a four-year degree, the Associate of Arts (AA) degree is a good program to follow until deciding.

Associate of Science (AS) degree

The Associate of Science (AS) degree is intended to prepare students for immediate employment; however, students can transfer to complete a Bachelor’s degree when they transfer to colleges with which Saint Paul College has articulation agreements. The AS degree requires 30 credits of general education (MnTC) courses. Additional general education courses may be required to complete a Bachelor’s degree, particularly if students transfer to a college where an articulation agreement does not exist.

Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree

Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree is intended mainly to prepare students for direct employment.  Students who are following as AAS degree and who are interested in transfer are strongly advised to talk to a Saint Paul College Pathway Advisor in the Advising Center as transfer options are more limited. The AAS degree requires a minimum of 16 credits of general education (MnTC) courses. Additional general education courses typically would be required to complete a Bachelor’s degree for students who transfer, particularly to colleges with which articulation agreements do not exist.


Things to consider in preparation for transferring.

  • What are the math requirements for the college you plan to transfer to?
  • Are there particular courses you should be taking to prepare yourself for your four-year degree major?
  • What type of college or university is best for you? Public? Private? Weekend College Program? Online College?

For help with transfer questions or concerns, meet with your Pathway Advisor or contact your advisor at the transfer college.

Transfer Options

What is the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC)?

The Minnesota Transfer Curriculum is briefly outlined on the Associate of Arts page. This curriculum was designed to help standardize General Education requirements, enabling students to transfer from one institution to another without losing credits. Ten goals were developed, based on subject areas or themes. More information is available at

I am an AS or AAS degree student, what are my transfer options?

An AS has 30 general education credits and an AAS degree has 20 general education requirements. All general education courses will transfer to a four-year college or university. Investigate if your particular program has any articulation agreements. These agreements guarantee acceptance of part or all of your AS or AAS credits. Otherwise, if you transfer to a college or university without an articulation agreements, technical courses are reviewed on a class by class basis. Typically, technical credits do not transfer to a four-year college or university without an articulation agreement.

What is an articulation agreement?

An articulation agreement is an agreement between Saint Paul College and a four-year college or university. This agreement specifies that all or some credits from a particular technical diploma or degree will be accepted towards a specified four-year degree program/major of study.

What are the 20 credits of pre-major/elective courses for the AA degree?

These 20 credits can consist of additional Minnesota Transfer Curriculum courses, other elective college credit courses, or technical credits. If you have not completed technical credits prior to your enrollment in the Associate of Arts program, it may be in your best interest to take additional MnTC or other courses that are fulfilling major/foreign language/math requirements for your Bachelor degree program of choice.

Transfer Resources on the Web is a resource for students, academic advisors, and educators to locate information to guide in transfer planning – including transfer policies and procedures, articulation agreements, student services, and transfer contact information. Most information is specific to the University of Minnesota and the Minnesota State Colleges & Universities (MnSCU) System.

Transferology is a nation-wide network designed to help you answer the question “Will my courses transfer?” You may enter coursework, exams, and/or military learning experiences, then discover in a single click how many schools in the network have matching courses that may be awarded when you transfer. Schools are ranked by the percentage of coursework they accept in transfer, though you may focus the results with a number of handy filters and sorts, including how your courses transfer into a specific program at another college or university. Details of how those courses will count are available with another click or two, and you can inform schools of your interest in transferring by asking about specific programs, campus visits, and/or coursework that has not yet been evaluated by the school. More info

The Transfer Action Plan

Will help you explore the transfer process and navigate available resources.